Subject: Re: Feedback for developers and other users of 1.5
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/2000 09:58:14
At 8:02 AM -0500 9/29/00, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Lee Reynolds wrote:
>
> > I've been able to make use of my zip drive, creating a
> > ffs filesystem on it which I now have mounted as /usr.
> >  I then installed comp.tgz.  Gcc works, but make fails
> > with the message "no system rules (sys.mk)."  Not sure
> > what that is about yet.  I probably need to install
> > another package
>
>/usr/share/mk/sys.mk is in the base set. You have a /usr
>that's otherwise populated?

I'll bet he created the ffs /usr on the zip *after* he installed the
base set.  That means there is stuff in /usr that gets masked when
the mount is done.

Not good.  Needs fixing.

Guessing, from memory, Lee needs to do:

cd /
tar zxvpf /path/to/base.tgz /usr
umount /usr
rm -rf /usr/*
mount /usr

Also he should repeat the tar line for each set that was loaded
before he had the zip mounted.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.