Subject: Re: disklabel in mac68k port.
To: Takeshi Shibagaki <ie9t-sbgk@asahi-net.or.jp>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/2000 14:28:54
Takeshi Shibagaki wrote:

>Hi, I don't notice, but are you maintener of Mkfs?

Nobody really maintains Mkfs but I've been the person doing most of the
hacking on it for the last few years.  Hopefully it will soon be retired
in favor of the sysinst method of doing system installations.

>From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
>Subject: Re: disklabel in mac68k port.
>Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 13:16:43 -0500
>
>rnestor> At one time I had pulled the I/O routines from pdisk and was
>working on a
>rnestor> new version of Mkfs that supported ATA as well as both SCSI
>Buses.  If
>rnestor> anyone wants a copy of my incomplete work I'd be happy to make them
>rnestor> available.
>
>some time ago, you want to speak this, don't you!! I didn't understand
>you in detail. If it's possible, would you like to send me new Mkfs?

The work is very much incomplete!  I had reworked the I/O routines and
built a new set of windows for a different user interface.  The current
newfs code from NetBSD needs to be pulled into the program and all of it
neds to be tied toegether into a working program.  The reason I stopped
working on it at the time was I had gotten far enough along to understand
how I could do the same thing with sysinst.  So I worked on converting
the i386 version of sysinst into a mac68k specific version.  That's the
code that you are probably using in your Installation Kernels.  I also
have a newer version of the sysinst code.

You should find the files on:
    ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub

  mac68k_Xservers/ - the various mac68k Xservers for those who can't
          find them on Allen's FTP server

  map/  - contains my updated version of pdisk and corresponding
          NetBSD utility to dump Apple Partition Maps

  ppp/  - contains my setup files for using ppp with nat

  sysinst/ - my second version of sysinst/mac68k

  Mkfs_2x.sea.bin - my incomplete work on an IDE/ATA capable version
                    of Mkfs.

-bob

p.s.  I should have thought of this earlier, but you might be able to use
the version of pdisk that's in the above "map/" directory to convert the
partitions on the ATA disk.  I've never tried it, but I did re-enable the
necessary parts to force the usage flags to be written so the partition
would be NetBSD recognizable.