Subject: Re: disklabel in mac68k port.
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/2000 13:16:43
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Takeshi Shibagaki wrote:
>
>> fb> Assuming that you can build a kernel that supports ATA, you could try
>> fb> to hardwire the kernel to root on the ata disk, changing
>> fb> config          netbsd  root on ? type ?
>> fb> to
>> fb> config          netbsd root on wd0c type ffs
>> fb> get this kernel into the Booter folder, and use the booter's "Boot
>> fb> from a MacOS file" option.
>>
>> This method was included in my idea, maybe go well. But it's strange for
>> me that kernel exists on MacOS(HFS), and I don't like not GENERIC kernel.
>> I like to separate NetBSD partition from MacOS partition.
>
>Yeah, but it looks like the only hope, for now. Even if you fix the
>disklabel with some other tool, the Booter doesn't support booting
>from ATA yet, does it?

I thought the Booter used different I/O routines so it might support ATA
where Mkfs and the Installer doesn't.   Nigel would be the one to answer
this though.

At one time I had pulled the I/O routines from pdisk and was working on a
new version of Mkfs that supported ATA as well as both SCSI Buses.  If
anyone wants a copy of my incomplete work I'd be happy to make them
available.

-bob