Subject: Re: disklabel in mac68k port.
To: Takeshi Shibagaki <ie9t-sbgk@asahi-net.or.jp>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/2000 12:16:44
Takeshi Shibagaki wrote:

>Hi, thank you for your comment, but I am weak in English.
>so I will read at later in detail, and I would like to ask the only point.
>
>From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
>Subject: Re: disklabel in mac68k port.
>Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 11:12:12 -0500
>
>rnestor> trying to create the fake incore disklabel.   Or if someone has
>built an
>rnestor> Installation kernel with ATA disk and sysinst support for the
>mac68k port
>rnestor> you should be able to use sysinst to convert the partitions.  If
>you do
>rnestor> this make sure you have a good backup of your disk before you try!
>
>I make kernel built in ATA drivers, and make install kernel with
>distrib/mac68k. In the result, I look disklabel in wd0, and change
>fstype from HFS to 4.2BSD. but the later, sysinst terminated with
>"Couldn't open /etc/disktab". Surely, it doesn't exist. I stopped there.
>It's troublesome for me to write disktab, I want to only change fstype...

I'm not sure what is happening here, but I have seen sysinst do some
funny things at times on more than just the mac68k port.  Usually I just
restart it with "./sysinst" and it sometimes works on the second attempt.

Since you're building your own installation kernels with sysinst you
might want the updated code.  It should be available in the open PR on
the gnats database, but if you'd like I can provide you with a copy of
what I sent in on that PR.  The newer code should do a better job of disk
partitioning and hopefully has enough checks to keep from corrupting the
disk.

Hope this helps,
-bob