Subject: Re: disklabel in mac68k port.
To: Takeshi Shibagaki <ie9t-sbgk@asahi-net.or.jp>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/2000 11:51:26
On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Takeshi Shibagaki wrote:

> rnestor> Native disklabels are not supported in the mac68k port right now, just
> rnestor> faked incore bsd style disklabels which are constructed from the Apple
> rnestor> Disk Partition Map on boot.  So the only thing the disklabel command will
> rnestor> do is display the current disklabel; it won't let you modify them.
>
> OK, I see, but how fake? I cannot boot up kernel from native BSD partition,
> because I cannot change fstype from HFS to 4.2BSD.
>
> I would like to boot up from ATA disk, but not apply Mkfs, so I am embarrassed.

Assuming that you can build a kernel that supports ATA, you could try
to hardwire the kernel to root on the ata disk, changing

config          netbsd  root on ? type ?

config          netbsd root on wd0c type ffs
                                  ^
                                  |__ or whatever works

get this kernel into the Booter folder, and use the booter's "Boot
from a MacOS file" option.

Frederick