Subject: Looking for a kernel for Classic II with quantum Hard drive
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Lee Reynolds <leebreynolds@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/23/2000 03:20:17
I recently bought a Mac Classic II for five dollars at
Goodwill.  It's complete and works fine.  It's got a
80 meg quantum hard drive and ten megs of memory.  I'd
like to see about putting NetBSD on it but as I'm sure
all of you know there is a problem with that, the
onboard video.

I tried installing 1.5alpha2 with the SBC kernel but
it didn't really work right.  It would boot up under
single user mode but would hang for some reason in
multi-user mode.  I'm not sure what was happening
there, it would get to the point where it would
display the time and date after running the rc.d
scripts and that would be all she wrote.  I even let
the system sit for 30 minutes thinking it was just
chewing on something and would eventually finish, it
didn't.

Right now I'm in the process of installing 1.3.2 with
a kernel patched for the C-II's video.  The kernel
came from the website of a bright japanese guy whose
name I can't pronounce let alone remember.  I'm hoping
it will work.  My main concern now is that he didn't
specify that this kernel is the SBC version, which I
need because I have a quantum hard drive in my system.

So, if anyone knows where I can find an SBC kernel
compiled/patched for the Classic II please let me
know.  I'm not very picky at this point about which
version of NetBSD it is for, any will do.  Also, I
DON'T HAVE a 68882 installed in this machine, so I
can't use a kernel which expects one.  I might be
interested in getting a MPU if someone knows where I
can buy a module for this unit.

Thanks,
Lee Reynolds