Subject: Re: Off-Topic: NiftyTelnet with SSHv2 question
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/22/2000 10:09:59
On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 10:44:59AM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> Does it work?  I seem to recall something said a long time ago about
> it working, but only if you configured the fallback in some specific
> way.

As I recall, NiftyTelnet has only the ssh1 protocol. That may have
changed recently, though.

It'd be great if we could all use the ssh2 protocol (since it's better
and since the RSA implementation in ssh.com's ssh1 protocol has worlds
of problems, including buffer overflows). But we really can't, since
we live in the real world and can't enforce ssh2 on everyone else.

So, if you *must* use ssh.com's sshd (I don't recomend it):

1) Install ssh-1.2.27 or later.
2) Install ssh-2.<whatever's current>.

This'll install ssh1 and ssh2 versions of everything, sym link the
usual name (say, sshd) to the ssh2 version (say, sshd2), which is
intelligent to fall back on the ssh1 version (sshd1) if it exists and
is appropriately named.

But don't use ssh.com's software. They have a non-nice license and
various bugs. Use OpenSSH (installing from pkgsrc should work fine,
did on the couple of mac68ks in my cluster here, but they're 1.4.2 not
1.5anything) instead. It supports both protocols in the same server
and is generally better-written. (No personal offense meant to Tatu,
but the ssh.com thing is way out of his hands these days.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net