Subject: No luck... Was: Q840AV doesn't like 1.5 Alpha2 - summary
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Jesse Reynolds <lizst@va.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/20/2000 01:21:15
Hi folx

Well, I'm beginning to think my Quadra just really doesn't like 1.5 Alpha2...

You'll recall It was crashing on boot until I worked out it had to be
freshly rebooted at 256 colours or under... so I solved that one. I
then decided to reinstall from scratch to be on the safe side....

I now can boot up to the point where it says "rc.conf not configured"
etc. So I configure it, adding various mostly networking things from
my 1.4.2 rc.conf and then exit the single user shell. Then it tries
to come up multi-user and panics, without fail, shortly after
"Configuring network interfaces".

Then I have to reboot it into single user again, fsck the filesystem
so I can try reediting rc.conf again and panic it again. No matter
what I do to rc.conf I can't get it to not panic at this point. I've
tried:

auto_ifconfig=NO                                # config all avail. interfaces
net_interfaces=""                               # used only if above is NO

And I've also tried:

auto_ifconfig=NO                                # config all avail. interfaces
net_interfaces="mc0"                               # used only if above is NO

but pretty much the same thing happens. In the second case, I get a
few extra lines after "Configuring network interfaces" and before the
panic, namely:

/etc/rc: WARNING: /etc/ifconfig.mc0 missing and ifconfig_mc0 not set;
/etc/rc: WARNING: interface mc0 not configured.
.
Kernel Illegal Instruction trap.

Is there a sure fire way to get netbsd to boot up and not ifconfig
anything at all? I've got a feeling it's an interface driver that's
causing it to panic... I'd like to get it up to multiuser so I can
then try manually ifconfig'ing to see what happens...

cheers

jesse

       Jesse Reynolds - Virtual Artists Pty Ltd - http://www.va.com.au
             Email: jesse (at) va.com.au        - http://virtual.artists