Subject: Re: Q840AV doesn't like 1.5 Alpha2
To: None <scbrown@netscape.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/19/2000 19:52:17
Stephen C. Brown wrote:

>I don't know about it being pulled into the 1.5 release.  Perhaps Scott
>Reynolds can comment on that.   But, the "current" release does not
>panic with an A3 mouse attached.  It does, however, misidentify it
>as a single button 100-dpi mouse.  I think that's a timing issue with
>the adb_op_sync().  I haven't had time to track this further as I've
>been busy with real life things(getting engaged, etc. ;-) ).   If
>someone has suggestions as to changes to make, etc.  I might
>have a chance to test this again this weekend.

Hi Steve,

The current releases still panic on my Performa-550 with the A3 mouse.  I
tried the timing patches that were in a test kernel Scott built, but
still have the same problem.  I also tried building my own kernels with
-current code and moving the timing value all the way out to 20,000 with
no success.  I supect there's another timing problem lurking in there as
I've also seen some strange stuff with the keyboard at times.  It does
however always seem to get the mouse identifed.

John Wittkowski had a terrible time trying to get this system running
with his original HW Direct code.  As I recall he ended up putting some
sort of timing hack in the code that didn't get removed until it was
recently reworked for wscons support.  I ended up sending him the
complete system one summer so he could debug with it and finish up the HW
Direct code back then.  Looks like this system will have to make another
cross-country trip. ;-)

-bob

p.s.  I'm still running with the patched kernel you sent me when you
first found the A3 work-around.