Subject: Re: will netbsd do useful things on my LC040 box?
To: None <macwizard1@lycos.com, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/19/2000 12:36:22
At 6:47 PM +0100 9/19/00, Phillip R Arrieta wrote:
>Hi, I just have a quick question
>
>I was wondering if NetBSD will do useful things on my LC040 box
>(PowerBook 540c). The doc on this subject
>(http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/LC040-and-BSD.html) left me a little
>confused at the end. I've installed SoftwareFPU, and I am able to
>run Fractal! v1.2 w/o any problems.
>
>Does this mean that I will be able to useful things w/o getting "Seg
>faults" and others?

I think this means that your version of the chip is not defective.
However the last I heard we still did not have a good FP emulator for
the '040.  In other words you should be able to do some stuff, but
you won't have a fully functional system.

Is Ken Nakata still on the list?  He was the last person working on
the emulator that I know of.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.