Subject: Re: Q840AV doesn't like 1.5 Alpha2
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/2000 19:17:12
From my earlier post:

>Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Jesse Reynolds wrote:
>>
>>> I tried installing NetBSD 1.5 Alpha2 snapshot of 5 Sept and it
>>> doesn't seem to work. The kernel panics and bombs out to the debugger
>>> shortly after recognising the keyboard and mouse, exerpts as follows:
>>
>>It looks like it's failing in the place the video probe should be.
>>What video mode do you boot in? Maybe see if changing the video mode
>>causes the symptom to change. Do all the modes work under Mac OS? If
>>you have bad video memory, it'll be obvious at the larger resolutions.
>>
>>Also, the "ams" device is somewhat uncommon -- you could rule out that
>>driver by booting without the mouse, or with a different mouse.
>
>This is the same type of error I've been getting for some time on my
Peforma-550
> with the Logic 3-button mouse.  I haven't tried this snapshot, but I will
this
> evening.
>
>The "ams" device started showing up for me a couple of months ago.  I don't
> think its uncommon, just different from what we normally are used to seeing.
>
>My guess is if you replace the mouse with a standard Apple one-button mouse
the
> system will boot OK.  At least that's always been my experience in the face
of
> this problem.
>
>-bob

Well, to follow up here I tried booting this kernel on my Performa-550.
It panics in the adbpanic code right after finding my A3 Mouse.  With the
standard Apple one-button mouse it boots.  The A3 Mouse problem has been
around for some time now and I know a couple of people were working on
the solution.  I thought it was in by now but it doesn't appear to be.

Anyone have an idea if the fix will make it into the 1.5 Release?  It
seems a shame to break the support for the A3 Mouse that has been fully
working in so many previous releases.

-bob