Subject: Re: Q840AV doesn't like 1.5 Alpha2
To: Jesse Reynolds <lizst@va.com.au>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/2000 06:43:37
On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Jesse Reynolds wrote:

> I tried installing NetBSD 1.5 Alpha2 snapshot of 5 Sept and it
> doesn't seem to work. The kernel panics and bombs out to the debugger
> shortly after recognising the keyboard and mouse, exerpts as follows:

It looks like it's failing in the place the video probe should be.
What video mode do you boot in? Maybe see if changing the video mode
causes the symptom to change. Do all the modes work under Mac OS? If
you have bad video memory, it'll be obvious at the larger resolutions.

Also, the "ams" device is somewhat uncommon -- you could rule out that
driver by booting without the mouse, or with a different mouse.

> aed0 at adb0 addr 0: ADB Event device
> akbd0 at abd0 addr 2: extended keyboard
> wskbd0 at akbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
> ams0 at adb0 addr 3: Logitech MouseMan (non-EMP) mouse
> wsmouse0 at ams0
> Kernel Illegal Instruction trap.
> trap type 2, code = 0x0, v = 0x0
> kernel program counter = 0xdea4c
> kernel: Illegal instruction trap
> pid = 0, pc = 000DEA4C, ps = 2400, sfc = 1, dfc = 1
> Registers:
>
> <blah blah>
>
> Kernel stack (00277ECC):
>
> <blah blah>

The names of the subroutines in the stack trace ('t') could be useful.

> Specs: Quadra 840AV, 80Mb Ram, 1Gb SCSI disk, MacOS 8.1 on 200Mb
> partition, AsanteFAST 10/100 nubus ethernet card.

Frederick