Subject: Q840AV doesn't like 1.5 Alpha2
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Jesse Reynolds <lizst@va.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/2000 21:54:08
Hi there

I tried installing NetBSD 1.5 Alpha2 snapshot of 5 Sept and it
doesn't seem to work. The kernel panics and bombs out to the debugger
shortly after recognising the keyboard and mouse, exerpts as follows:

aed0 at adb0 addr 0: ADB Event device
akbd0 at abd0 addr 2: extended keyboard
wskbd0 at akbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
ams0 at adb0 addr 3: Logitech MouseMan (non-EMP) mouse
wsmouse0 at ams0
Kernel Illegal Instruction trap.
trap type 2, code = 0x0, v = 0x0
kernel program counter = 0xdea4c
kernel: Illegal instruction trap
pid = 0, pc = 000DEA4C, ps = 2400, sfc = 1, dfc = 1
Registers:

<blah blah>

Kernel stack (00277ECC):

<blah blah>

panic: Illegal instruction
Stopped in swapper at _cpu_Debugger+0x6:      unlk    a6
db>

I got the same result when trying an alternate kernel, the
mac68k-GENERIC-smc kernal produced by Allen Briggs on July 30.

(I have an AsanteFast 10/100 with the SMC chip on it, that's only
supported after July 30, and so I'm trying to find a version of
NetBSD that will run on my Quadra and support the AsanteFast nubus
fastethernet card. )

Specs: Quadra 840AV, 80Mb Ram, 1Gb SCSI disk, MacOS 8.1 on 200Mb
partition, AsanteFAST 10/100 nubus ethernet card.

Cheers

Jesse

       Jesse Reynolds - Virtual Artists Pty Ltd - http://www.va.com.au
             Email: jesse (at) va.com.au        - http://virtual.artists