Subject: Re: I've been verizoned!
To: Chris Brown <cblist@cityb.net>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/14/2000 17:30:35
Chris Brown wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 04:49:42PM -0400, Salvatore Mancini wrote:
>> I plan on giving them the boot soon enough. However for roght now I have 9
>> other users who are depending on the line. One solution that the NT head
>> downstairs suggested was win98 running winproxy. I would rather not do that.
>>
>> verizon is definitely on my shit list
>>

>The PPPoE client at http://www.roaringpenguin.com/ (which is highly
>regarded in Linux circles) claims to have xBSD support... you might want to
>try that...

Another solution is the "black box" approach using Xrouter, D-Link,
Link-Sys, etc.  The prices of these have dropped to about $150 for a
10/100BaseT, 4-port unit.  If you just need a single port to uplink into
an existing Hub or system you can get a unit from Hawking for about $90.
They all claim to support PPPoE, dhclient for the WAN connection and
dhserver for the LAN side and work with DSL or cable modems.
Configuation via Web, telnet or a Windows app.  Some of the better prices
I've seen are on www.egghead.com, but there might be even better sources
and cheaper prices.

-bob