Subject: Re: I've been verizoned!
To: Salvatore Mancini <salvatore@bellatlantic.net>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/14/2000 13:56:59
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Salvatore Mancini wrote:

> I want to reconfigure my firewall to work with pppoe. Verizon took my
> static ip away. How do I go about this? Any help would be
> appreciated.....

When I saw that headline, I just about fell over laughing.  I've been
Verizoned, too.  They lost cell service for a large part of Santa Cruz
county, and it has been down since last Friday.  I was very tempted to
take advantage of that thirty day Radio Shack return policy and dumping
this thing this morning (30 days ends today), but Cellular One would
charge me roaming over the hill where I work.  Verizon is on my list of
companies that I only put up with because I have no choice, and wouldn't
recommend to my worst enemy.

As you can imagine, my advice to you is "Run.  Run... as fast as you can."
Not saying that it can't be done, because I'm pretty sure pppoe is
possible under NetBSD.  I just question whether a company that jerks their
customers around by forcing people to change to pppoe is worth putting up
with.  I know I wouldn't.  There are just too many competing ISPs that
_do_ offer static IPs at similar prices, at least in my area.

I say, give them the boot, and be sure to tell them why.  If enough people
leave their service because of pppoe, their policy guys will eventually
figure out that it's evil and they'll stop.  :-)

Later,
David

A brief Haiku:

Microsoft is bad.