Subject: Re: having ethernet problems
To: charlie allom , Nyef <nyef@softhome.net>
From: Tony Mantler <nicoya@apia.dhs.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/13/2000 22:56:22
At 12:37 AM -0500 9/13/2000, charlie allom wrote:
>At 10:54pm -0400 12/09/2000, Nyef wrote:
>>The most major problem is that the ethernet card isn't working. It's an
>>8390-based card, and appears to be made by Cabletron. The card itself
>
>i too have a nice little rj45 cabletron card, that is not recognised
>in 1.4.2. my last attempts at getting it to work failed, as i have no
>idea on mapping the memory space myself.

I wrote support in Linux/Mac68k for the Cabletron E6100 (I think that's the
model) NuBus card. It should still be hiding in the sources somewhere (like
drivers/net/daynaport.c).

Some things to note:

If you write 0x00 to the page register on the card, the registers will
return a bus error when read until you write a 0x01 or 0x02 to the page
register, at which point they will return. I have no idea why this happens.

The registers are spaced differently than other cards (16-bit/forward, iirc)

32-bit reads and writes *do not work*. I can't remember if they return
nothing at all or something very very wrong, but you're well advised to
read and write in 16 bit chunks only.

The RX and TX pages are reversed for some strange reason.

Memory starts at slot+0x0, registers start at slot+0x90000.

Over all, it's probably the dumbest ethernet card I've ever seen. I would
not personally reccomend buying any cabletron equipment. Ever.

Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler :)

--
Tony "Nicoya" Mantler - Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire - nicoya@apia.dhs.org
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada           --           http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/