Subject: Re: Mac m68k booting process?
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/05/2000 14:48:18
On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Allen Briggs wrote:

> As someone else noted, we don't have full MacOS services at this point
> in the boot and can't, for example, turn off video interrupts on nubus
> cards reliably (or as reliably as we can once things are booted).  This
> is true, but we do already know how to clear nubus interrupts on quite
> a few video cards (even if we don't know anything else about them ;-).

Well, some of this is in fact handled by my SLOTMAN code, which
implements a complete version of the Mac's slot manager (and enough of
the device manager as required).  NuBus probing actually goes out to
each card and executes the cards' PrimaryInit and SecondaryInit routines
if they're present.

However, there are some bugs dealing with the "simulated" slot devices
that several of the newer M68K Macs use.

If anyone wants to grab the code and play with it, check out

	http://www.whooppee.com

|   Paul Goyette  | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer|  BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| & kernel hacker |  91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |