Subject: Re: Mac m68k booting process?
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/2000 08:46:21
on 9/4/00 2:03 AM, Peter at pb@ludd.luth.se wrote:

> *) Is it possible to automate the launch of the booter in MacOS, in the manner
> of /etc/rc for unix.. ?
sure, just put the NetBSD booter in the startup items and then select the
autoboot option in it.

> *) Why is there no boot block available so that the Mac can be booted straight
> into NetBSD..?
i'm not a dev. but it was explained me that it is a problem of ROM/startup
sequence
an interesting thing could be to try to put the Booter in place of the
finder (renaming it finder). Maybe it works straight so or maybe there
should be some modification in the App. But it remembers me of the
silverling which bootet without finder in such manner. It would be not a
direct resolution of the problem, but nevertherleess faster than booting a
full MacOS

unfortunately I can't try either, i use a IIfx and it is not supported.

Anyone has news about the IIfx? I know that in linux68k they made quite a
progress with it! In fact i was able to boot linux with scsi, keyboard, and
ethernet. Not perfect should and X doesn't work if not in b/w, but
nevertheless usable!

greets.
rick