Subject: Re: Quadra memory check
To: Roger Brown <rogerhb@xtra.co.nz>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/31/2000 23:30:15
On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Roger Brown wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Well done indeed!
>
> What distribution would I need to run this, presumably some version of
> mklinux and some booter?

MkLinux pre-R1 should work, with the MkLinux booter (whatever the latest
version).

> If you could tell me which version of booter to use, I could see how far the
> thing gets without a hardrive on a Performa 6200. (I can't trash my MacOS
> IDE just yet...)

Heheheh.  Worth noting, I already have one report of the thing missing a
slot interrupt (and thus losing IDE suddenly and relatively unfixably).
So there's a really obnoxious issue left there, but I think I know how to
fix it.

> What about input/output (how do I get stuff into the thing?)

Keyboard/video works, serial might work (untested so far... that's on my
list this weekend).

> Does the serial(printer) port work for PPP or SLIP?
>
> Earlier you said there was not much chance of getting a Communications Slot
> Ethernet card supported due to a limitation of the mach kernel.

Same reason as NuBus ethernet cards, yeah.  Memory allocation issue.
Though when I look at it, there might be a way, it would just be a pain in
the backside.

> I know it would run like a dog, but has anybody seriously considered a
> LocalTalk driver? By run like a dog I mean I realise it would have to
> disable interrupts while receiving any packet, (or, rather, that is what
> current Macs do).

I don't think anyone has tried....

> If PPP or SLIP worked I could use a NetBSD as a gateway/router to ethernet
> (I presume).

Yeah.

David