Subject: Re: PPP slow
To: T&B <list.mac68k@tandb.com.au>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/31/2000 14:14:52
> > But this best situation still only does 3.6 kB/s, not the 5.4 provided by
> > a Mac OS based router on similar hardware. I'll have to check under
> > exactly the same hardware and ISP account.
>
> Tests under same ISP gets 3.4 kB/s. So the ISP is not the problem (they
> are both generally the same, so I did not distinguish before).

You should also make sure that you are measuring with the same
test.  If the 5.4 K/s with MacOS is a different test than the 3.6
K/s with NetBSD, then they're not really comparable (I seem to
recall from an earlier message that the tests were not identical
and you did see some traffic peak at 8.x K/s--modems can compress
text, e.g., much better than images, so you should have some
base-line test to run that tests both a large text file xfer and
a large binary file xfer--or something like that).  Note that to
get 5.4 K/s, you'll need to have the baud rate set to at least
57.6.  Also keep in mind that the MacOS is not a pre-emptive
multi-tasking OS...  ;-)

-allen