Subject: Re: compiler sources
To: None <lime@lab.net>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/29/2000 19:15:59
On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 04:01:36PM -0700, lime@lab.net wrote:
> I want to start working on a kernel, but I don't have enough
> disk space for the sources. My idea is that maybe I could build
> the compiler for NetBSD/mac68k on my ISP's linux machine and
> then compile the kernel on his disk and download the result.
>
> Is this plausible, and if so where are the compiler sources
> available at? I am been poking through ftp.netbsd.org but
> not finding them.

Yowza.

That's theoretically possible, but just adding a drive your m68k
machine might let you keep a social life for the next few weeks.

You will need to:

1) Get a version of gcc on the Linux box that behaves the same way our
co-opted egcs (cc and gcc under NetBSD does).

2) Set up cross compilation. This is a HUGE step. There's a
good-looking (haven't tried using it myself) HOWTO on this at
http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/cc-HOWTO. It's even aimed at
mac-68k, so there you go. (Is this Markus Hitter still around?)

3) Get the NetBSD source tree (includes and all--you *really* don't
want to link against Linux's shared libs) on the Linux box.

4) Work out kinks.

5) Work out kinks.

At that distant point in the future when I'm going to do just about
anything I really *want* to do, I'm going to get around to doing
cross-compilation for mac68k (and any other archs I'm running then) on
the fastest machine I've got (which will probably be macppc). But I so
haven't done it yet it would blow your mind.

Good luck...

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net