Subject: Re: Farallon Nubus EtherWave with 2 RJ-45 jacks
To: NetBSD-mac68k list <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Parks <danielparks@bigfoot.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/27/2000 08:13:52
Thanks for the fast responses! I didn't realize what I was buying when I
got the card, so I got 2.

Still, I can only connect to the mchine through the AAUI port, not the
card. I don't think the card is defective, I tried it under MacOS (But on a
different computer).

---ifconfig -a:
sn0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	address: 08:00:07:76:0c:da
ae0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	address: 00:00:c5:3b:06:b4
	media: Ethernet manual
	inet 10.1.1.3 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 10.255.255.255
lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 32976
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
ppp0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ppp1: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
tun0: flags=10<POINTOPOINT> mtu 1500
tun1: flags=10<POINTOPOINT> mtu 1500

---netstat -r:
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use    Mtu  Interface
10                 link#2             UC          0        0      -  ae0
10.1.1.1           link#2             UHL         0        3      -  ae0
localhost          localhost          UH          0       80      -  lo0
192.168.1          link#1             UC          0        0      -  sn0
moria              08:00:07:76:0c:da  UHL         0       10      -  lo0

AppleTalk:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use    Mtu  Interface

---ping -c 5 10.1.1.1:
PING 10.1.1.1 (10.1.1.1): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Host is down
ping: sendto: Host is down
ping: sendto: Host is down
ping: sendto: Host is down

----10.1.1.1 PING Statistics----
5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

ae0 is 10.1.1.1, sn0 is 192.168.1.1
DHCP is set up on sn0. As you can see, I can't ping the card from the
computer "moria".

Thanks!
Daniel

>The two ports are a like a mini 3 port hub. The computer is one port
>and two other computers can be plugged into the two ports. That way you
>can have a three computer network with no hub, or plug a computer into
>the hub without having another port. So you are correct about the whole
>card being ae0, you have to use the AAUI also to acheive a firewall.
>
>Mike

>The etherwave isn't two separate NIC's; the second port is or daisy-chaining
>without using a hub. I remember when using one of these with Windows NT, it
>appears as a 3COM 3C509 using thin coax, rather than the UTP interface, but
>worked just fine that way.
>
>--
>Craig R. Arko

>This is the correct behavior.  The second jack is for daisy-chaining machines
>together under the MacOS without having to
>use a hub and is not a separate interface.
>
>Erik

Wallace/Parks Family
mailto:mwdesign@aracnet.com