Subject: Re: IP NAT question
To: Bradley R. Smith <brad5903@pobox.com>
From: Greg Troutman <mor@linex.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/21/2000 19:41:09
"Bradley R. Smith" wrote:

> I have a Quadra 700 setup as an IP NAT router running NetBSD 1.4.
> It was taking a very long time to open a telnet connection to
> the router from the internal network. It turns out the router
> was trying to do a DNS lookup of the internal IP address of the
> telnet client, querying the DNS server on the external network.
> Perhaps you have a similar situation.
> I put the IP of the internal machine in /etc/hosts and editted
> nsswitch.conf (I think) to put "files" before "dns". That
> solved the problem.
> The router is using DHCP to get it's external IP. If you have
> a static IP you might have to edit /etc/resolv.conf instead.

I had this trouble, along with some other things peculiar to particular
apps like Apache and mysql (gethostbyname errors and such).  I just made
a simple DNS config for my internal network, and turned named on.  Works
great.  All my machines now have the internal DNS server in their
resolv.conf, and only the localhost entry in their hosts file.  I'll
probably get around to making one of them a secondary DNS server as
well.   Of course we all love doing stuff like this just to learn
more--I used the dlint package to tell me what I was doing wrong each
step of the way until it passed muster with zero configuration errors.
The interesting thing is that my internal network is the only one I've
found so far that doesn't generate massive configuration errors from
dlint ;)