Subject: Re: SE/30 serial port access
To: Andrew Robinson <awrobinson@home.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/21/2000 09:47:15
> I have a couple of 9-pin D to 8-pin Mac serial adapters for my digital
> camera and Palm Pilot. Can I use one of those to connect the weather station
> radio receiver to my SE/30? Is there anything special about accessing the
> serial port in this way? If so, would some kind soul point me to a reference
> on how to set it up.

There shouldn't be anything special about it, except that the Macintosh
is a little odd when it comes to hardware handshaking.  I doubt that the
weather station requires that, though...

Serial communications is one area that Unix systems seem to differ,
though, so be aware of that--even though tcl may hide it from you
and it may not be an issue.

Just out of curiosity (reply privately, please, since it's off-topic
for the list), what kind of weather station is this, and what kind of
data can you get from it?

-allen