Subject: PPP NAT
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: T&B <list.mac68k@tandb.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/21/2000 20:02:55
Okay, thanks largely to the help from this list, I've set up most of what I need on my test IIcx. One thing remains: PPP NAT

I downloaded:
http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/pppnat/pppnat.tgz

and followed the intructions, but got an error including:
"remote system is required to authenticate"

Bruce Anderson suggested using the noauth option, which fixed the problem (thanks!), even though the instructions did not mention it.

I am able to send the command:
pppd call isp noauth  # where isp = the name of a file in /etc/ppp/peers

My modem dials, but I get this in the message log:

Jul 21 19:04:10 macbsd pppd[344]: Serial connection established.
Jul 21 19:04:11 macbsd pppd[344]: Using interface ppp0
Jul 21 19:04:11 macbsd pppd[344]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/tty00
Jul 21 19:04:19 macbsd pppd[344]: Serial line is looped back.
Jul 21 19:04:19 macbsd pppd[344]: Connection terminated.
Jul 21 19:04:22 macbsd pppd[344]: Exit.

How do I fix the "Serial line is looped back" error? I tried commenting out tty00 in /etc/ttys, but that didn't help.

and it destroys my default route through my local router. So I have to add:
route add default 192.168.1.254
after the failure. Once the PPP NAT is working, I won't need to make the other router the default.

I have named running, so I don't want to change any resolv setups etc. I plan to dial an ISP that issues a known static IP address, but am using another dynamically assigned IP account until I cen get it to work.

Any help welcome.

Thanks,
Tom
T&B