Subject: Re: central e-mail
To: Sean Murphy <otaku@istar.ca>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/19/2000 17:22:50
> Here's the scoop; at work employees move around from computer to computer -
> there are no personal workstations. When they want to check their e-mail,
> the usually just use whatever computer they happen to be on.

This shouldn't be a problem if you run an IMAP server instead of using
sendmail/fetchmail.  With IMAP, you manage mailboxes on the server.
This puts more of a load on the server and network, but that's part of
the price you pay for centralized services.  I think there are a couple
of IMAP servers in the pkgsrc.  Recent versions of Netscape & IE support
IMAP as do a number of other mail readers (not as many as POP, though).

-allen