Subject: Re: AppleShare IP on NetBSD
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: T&B <list.mac68k@tandb.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/19/2000 18:08:10
> After rebooting, I tried to connect from an AppleShare client via AppleTalk and TCP/IP. Both failed.

Closer examination of the boot log revealed:

atalkdnbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register macbsd:Workstation@*
nbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register macbsd:netatalk@*

I pulled the following line out of rc.atalk:

/usr/local/atalk/bin/nbprgstr -p 4 `hostname|sed 's/\..*$//'`:Workstation
/usr/local/atalk/bin/nbprgstr -p 4 `hostname|sed 's/\..*$//'`:netatalk

I tried from the command line:
nbprgstr macbsd:Workstation

which resulted after a few seconds with:
nbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register macbsd:Workstation@*

I issued:
nbplkup
to see if atalkd was communicating okay. I returned a list of the appletalk devices on my network so I guess it's working okay and that the default atalk.conf is okay.

The compiled netatalk package (without ASUN's IP support) that I installed before in /usr/pkg/bin/ worked okay (ie booted without error and allowed AppleShare (via AppleTalk) client connections. But this new netatalk ASUN install, that I compiled from source and installed in /usr/local/atalk/ seems problematic.

I think I've isolated the problem to just the atalkd binary. This one seems okay:
/usr/pkg/sbin/atalkd
but this one causes time outs in nbprgstr and afpd:
/usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd

So I thought maybe the atalkd.conf file needed fixing. I copied the pkg file over the new asun one:

mv /usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd.conf /usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd.conf.default
cp /usr/pkg/etc/atalkd.conf /usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd.conf

and rebooted. Unfortunately, I had the same "Can't register" and "timed out" errors.

So I:
vi /etc/rc.atalk
and edited it to use:
/usr/pkg/sbin/atalkd
instead of:
/usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd

After reboot this time, the boot log was okay, but I could not connect. I killed atalkd and afpd and manually started them with:

/usr/pkg/sbin/atalkd
/usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd

and then I could connect okay from an AppleShare client via AppleTalk or TCP/IP. It's strange that the same commands in rc.atalk did not work - I'll have to check further.

So my immediate problem and needs may be solved: I can connect via AppleShare IP to MacBSD. But having to install the package and compile another copy from binary, hybridizing the result, is somewhat inefficient.

What is the best way to resolve this? Has anyone else compiled and installed netatalk + asun and made it work directly? How? Could you produce a package?

Thanks,
Tom
T&B