Subject: Re: gateway
To: None <lime@lab.net>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/18/2000 06:38:42
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Jon Lindgren wrote:

Sorry - upon rereading your email, I think I wrote you a solution for a
problem you don't have ;)  Hey, it's 6:35 AM here, and the coffee is
terrible..

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 lime@lab.net wrote:
>
> > i can ftp and telnet into my netbsd from other computers on my lan.
> > my ppp scripts connect the modem and give me a local and remote IP
> > address. I can ping the remote address. However, I can't ping any
> > other internet addresses, or ftp or telnet into the machine over
> > the internet.

What is your default gateway set as?  Find this via 'netstat -nr'

> > if i add nameservers to resolv.conf, any command such as ping or
> > telnet, or any attempt to ftp in from the lan, waits (looking for
> > the name server?) about 3 minutes or so before running.

This is due to the condition above - if it can't reach the net to do dns,
then it's going to timeout when doing dns lookups, resulting in the delay.

> > could these be related and can you figure what might be causing
> > them? i have tried to follow the ppp setup instructions as
> > closely as possible.

Are you sure the ppp link is up?  If you 'ifconfig -a', does the PPP link
show good status?  Are you sure you're not pinging the local side of the
ppp link?  Try pinging your ISP's dns or smtp servers.  If all else fails,
running ppp with debug can [in certain circumstances] be helpful... make
sure it authenticates, etc...

Hope this helps more than my last...

-Jon
 "Hey - this old machine screams like a snail on acid!" - (a true
  comment by a fellow who recently installed NetBSD on an old server)