Subject: Re: AppleShare IP on NetBSD
To: T&B <list.mac68k@tandb.com.au>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/18/2000 02:00:49
On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 02:47:43PM +1000, T&B wrote:
> # Netatalk (in-kernel Appletalk) services
> # Note: The running kernel must be configured with "options NETATALK"
> # and software not included in NetBSD, such as Netatalk version 1.4b2
> # or later, must be used to take advantage of these services.
>
> Do I have to recompile the kernel just to enable netatalk? How do I know if my current kernel was compiled with this option enabled? I only want AFP over IP (port 548), not AppleTalk, so do I still need to recompile?

options NETATALK is in the GENERIC kernel, so if you've not messed
with your kernel config before, you don't need to. (And if you have,
quit whining. ;^>)

> Isn't CAP (Columbian AppleTalk Package) supposed to be better than NetaTalk? Is there a precompiled binary or package out there of CAP?

Ah, the rare drug-smuggling AT package. ;^>

In my experience the ColumbiA AppleTalk Package is *much* more
difficult to use, less reliable under stress, and generally clumsier
than netatalk. My experience with CAP was using Apple LaserWriters
from a Solaris 2.6 server, though, so YMMV.

As far as your specific netatalk troubles, I can't help. I've only
used netatalk twice (once on Debian Gnu/Linux x86 for file and printer
sharing and once on NetBSD/macppc for just file sharing) and it gave
me no trouble either time (well, making the LaserWriter Pro 3xx act
like a networkable printer through the Linux server was a bit of a
pain, but that's unrelated).

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net