Subject: Re: AppleShare IP on NetBSD
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: T&B <list.mac68k@tandb.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/18/2000 14:47:43
> The last I heard the pkgsrc version of netatalk didn't use the ASUN version of netatalk and that's the one you need to support appleshare IP.  It's certainly in use and buildable on NetBSD.

I found NetaTalk at:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org//pub/NetBSD/packages/1.4.2/mac68k/net/netatalk-19990130.tgz
Is this the ASUN version? If not, where can I get it?

I then:
1. installed using pkg_add netatalk-19990130.tgz
2. checked man afpd.
3. created /usr/pkg/etc/AppleVolumes.system containing a path.
4. created /usr/pkg/etc/AppleVolumes.default containing just a comment.
5. Tried /usr/pkg/sbin/afpd but it didn't stay up.
6. checked tail /var/log/messages, which showed:
   afpd[2796]: main: atp_open: Can't assign requested address
7. I checked /etc/services, which includes the comments:

# Netatalk (in-kernel Appletalk) services
# Note: The running kernel must be configured with "options NETATALK"
# and software not included in NetBSD, such as Netatalk version 1.4b2
# or later, must be used to take advantage of these services.

Do I have to recompile the kernel just to enable netatalk? How do I know if my current kernel was compiled with this option enabled? I only want AFP over IP (port 548), not AppleTalk, so do I still need to recompile?

Isn't CAP (Columbian AppleTalk Package) supposed to be better than NetaTalk? Is there a precompiled binary or package out there of CAP?

Thanks for help, and for not laughing (well to much anyway ;-),
Tom
T&B