Subject: Re: newbie question
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: KITAMURA, Yasuichi <kita@jp.apan.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/18/2000 11:29:05
Thank you for your reply.

> None of the other ports tar up alternative kernels. But then, other
> ports don't have a tool (yet) which can install alternative kernels,
> like the Installer does. If you'd like to see this, please make a
> formal request, with "send-pr".

I'm sorry but I don't think so. Till 1.4.1, port-mac68k includede
kernsbc.tgz in the directory of binary/sets.

> "current" sys.tgz is for current, that is, post 1.5. If you intend to
> build a custom kernel for 1.4.2, you should use 1.4.2 sources. Even
> 1.4.3 has evolved enough that it will not work well with 1.4.2
> binaries, although it should build.

Thank you for your information. I will try to look for the source codes of
1.4.2.

> If you only need a GENERICSBC kernel for 1.4.2, look under
> binary/kernels in the distribution directory.

Yes, I'm using this kernel with sepcifying HFS partion as this kernel locati
on in the Boot preference. But I prefer to set the kernel at the root partion.

Thank you for all your kind reply.

--kitamura