Subject: Re: newbie question
To: KITAMURA Yasuichi <kita@jp.apan.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/17/2000 12:38:35
On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, KITAMURA Yasuichi wrote:

> Anybody knows why 1.4.2 binary sets don't include kernsbc.tgz?

None of the other ports tar up alternative kernels. But then, other
ports don't have a tool (yet) which can install alternative kernels,
like the Installer does. If you'd like to see this, please make a
formal request, with "send-pr".

> And when
> I tried to build up sbc kernel with using the current sys.tgz. But it
> failed to go through the compiler. Did I make some serious mistakes?

"current" sys.tgz is for current, that is, post 1.5. If you intend to
build a custom kernel for 1.4.2, you should use 1.4.2 sources. Even
1.4.3 has evolved enough that it will not work well with 1.4.2
binaries, although it should build.

If you only need a GENERICSBC kernel for 1.4.2, look under
binary/kernels in the distribution directory. These kernels are all
gzipped, but not tarred, so they may not be installed the same way as
the sets. You can though, install them using the Installer's minishell
and "cpin", or even boot from a MacOS file using the Booter option.
The gzipped kernels have an additional advantage, in that once you
have a running system, you can copy upgrade/test kernels to /, and
boot from them directly without unzipping. The tarred, gzipped kernels
have to be untarred, which tends to overwrite your current kernel
unless you are careful.

Frederick