Subject: Re: se30 rom
To: Nathan Raymond <nate@portents.com>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/17/2000 13:41:21
> Oh, and I should
> mention that the LC475 video hack in the NetBSD booter doesn't work
> if the machine gestalt is a Q605 (i.e. there's a jumper on J18 on the
> motherboard, which I've read changes ROM vectors across the machine
> as well as changing the gestalt).  Is this documented anywhere?

	In the Booter Manual:

Video address hack (for LC475 & 575, pre 1.4 kernels)
   This option should allow the internal video to be used as the
   console on these two Macs with almost any kernel. These machines
   use the MMU to remap the video address under MacOS, and this
   mapping is lost when BSD/Mac68k kernel execution begins.
   Do not use this option for any machine other than the LC/Performa
   475, 575 & 630 series, as it may cause undesired kernel crashes

> If
> not, it should be mentioned for folks with Q605 trying to get video
> to display properly, or the booter should be updated with another
> checkbox and hack.

	I would have thought that, by now, the latest kernels would
correctly support the video mapping on the LC475 & Q605. The hack
that I put into the Booter was just a short-term fix for using old
kernels on the 475/575 machines. I was told that all 1.4 kernels
already had the correct mapping.

	I can certainly introduce another hack if someone provides
me with the correct video address to use, but after 2.5 years I would
have thought this unnecessary.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au | "Reality is that which,   |
|    Telstra NWD, Sydney, Australia.    |  when you stop believing  |