Subject: Re: Beleza!!!!!
To: Bill Studenmund , Marco <bsdlist@quiz.com.br>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/17/2000 14:01:54
At 1:44 PM -0700 7/17/00, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Marco wrote:
>
> > My NetBSD is running " 3/3" in my Quadra 650!!!
> > Thanks to all helped me!!!!
> > Why not " 5/5" ???
> > Wel, somethings are not operate. Like XWindow and ftp.
> > first:
> > How i put NetBSD ftp service to run?
>
>What are 3/3 & 5/5?
>
>To enable ftp, you need to modify /etc/inetd.conf and enable it (uncomment
>the line with it on it). I'm not sure how to set up anon ftp.

To set up anonymous ftp you create an ftp user with vipw.  Then you
need to create the directory structure inside the ftp user's home
directory to go with it.  All this is documented in good detail in
the ftpd man page.

If Marco wants to set up named ftp only then I would recommend he
look at ssh instead.  Since he's outside the US he doesn't need to
worry about the RSA patent issues, and he can use NiftyTelnet ssh's
scp function from the MacOS side if needed.

There have been some security issues identified with the wu-ftpd
software that NetBSD uses and I would advise Marco to check that he
is running a version of NetBSD that includes the 20000708-ftpd patch
first.  See <http://www.netbsd.org/Security/> for more information.

Good luck.