Subject: Sonic/DaynaPort Ethernet Problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Avi Norowitz <avin@ice.tj>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/14/2000 05:38:53
Hello,

First, let me give some information about this card.Here's what it says
on the biggest chip on the card.

S9530BDC4
PATENTED
(c)(m) 1993
DP83934CVUL-20
TM
SONIC-T

On the card itself it says "DaynaPORT E/SI30."

It's plugged into a slot on the motherboard, and connected to another
card by a 26 pin (I think) cable which is connected to the back of the
case, where I plug in the ethernet cable.

I've been informed that the card is PDS.

The device is detected in NetBSD as sn0, but when I try to load the
device with `ifconfig sn0 up 192.168.0.4`, it freezes and I'm forced to
reboot.

I'm having the same problem in Linux, where it freezes up when I try to
bring up the interface.

I've been informed by some people on linux-mac68k@mac.linux-m68k.org
that the reason for it failing under Linux is because the wrong driver,
daynaport.c is detecting it, and the right driver, sonic.c isn't,
presumably because both drivers are broken. This doesn't seem to be the
case in NetBSD, because it's detected as sn0 (under nb0 (NuBus), which I
think is okay), which I'm guessing is short for Sonic.

This computer is a Macintosh IIsi, and the ethernet card works fine in
MacOS.

Any information or help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
--
     Avi Norowitz  avin@ice.tj
         Ice Mail  http://www.ice.tj