Subject: Re: 10/100 cards
To: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/10/2000 22:35:50
> Anyone using a 100 baseT card in a 68k Mac with NetBSD? Can the rest of
> the hardware handle it or is there no improvement in speed? Believe it or
> not, I run a proxy (squid) on a NetBSD box (up for 271 days and
> counting) that is on a Q700. I would like to speed it up a little bit if
> the NIC would help.

Speeding up the NIC would almost certainly help for throughput.  The
disks are not that fast, but if you're running data cached in memory
or from NIC to NIC, the Q700 and friends should be able to more than max
out a 10Mbit NIC (they probably can't come too close to maxing out a
100Mbit NIC, though, as I think the nubus and memory bandwidth limits
will be reached before the NIC limitations [I don't have the docs in
front of me, but ISTR that the nubus maxes out at 10MB/s]).

There aren't any 100Mbit NICs supported at the moment, though someone
has recently spoken up that there are some available for developers
to work on, and I'm interested in seeing it happen...

-allen