Subject: Re: root shell
To: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/07/2000 00:26:12
> Can I change the root shell to tcsh? My tcsh is dynamically linked with
> libs on the /usr partition. What will happen if I have to do maintenance
> without /usr? Would it default to using /bin/sh or would I be SOL?

It will prompt you for a shell and you can enter /bin/sh.  There may
be other side effects to look out for, though.

Are you doing enough work as root to warrant changing the shell?  If so,
have you considered exec'ing tcsh from your .login if you're not running
tcsh and /usr is mounted?  Or creating a second root user with a
different default shell?

-allen