Subject: maybe OFF: passwd-Problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Kretschmer, Heiko; 3276 <kretschh@vab.burda.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/05/2000 20:41:49
Hi,

I'm not sure I'm right with my question in this mailing-list, but I'll try:

I'm running NetBSD 1.42 on a Quadra 610. Some days ago I changed some files
in /etc, but as far as I remember nothing that has to do with usernames or
passwords.
Now I can't login as root nor as my personal user: after giving the username
I'm not asked for my password, I just get kicked out with "login invalid".
Then I booted in single-user-mode and removed the passwords. After that I
could login (w/o passwords of course). If I try to set new passwords via
passwd I get an error "mismatch, try again...". I tried to kill pwd.db and
spwd.db and run pwd_mkdb, but with no effect. Are there more files which are
used to verify logins/passwords then passwd, master.passwd, pwd.db and
spwd.db? Does anyone have an idea what I can try next? I even tried to use
passwd, master.passwd, pwd.db and spwd.db from an older backup, but even
this doesn't work.

Since I don't want to set up the box again I hope you can help me....

Heiko