Subject: Re: configuring the /etc/rc.conf file
To: Thomas Carlson <tcarls@earthlink.net>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/03/2000 11:48:31
On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Thomas Carlson wrote:

> What exactly are the steps in configuring the /etc/rc.conf file after a new
> install?  Each time I try to access it I get a "permission denied" message.
> What am I missing here?

Ah!  What happens is that when you boot single user (when it tells you
that the /etc/rc.conf is unconfigured), the / partition is mounted
read-only (which is the correct behavior for booting into single
user).  Just remount it as read-write (I think it's "mount / -o rw" but
that may be slightly incorrect - embarassingly enough, I haven't done it
in eons and I forget the syntax... 'man mount' should be of some
help, though you might need to 'mount /usr' first).  Then you should be
able to vi the file.

Basically, just set "configured" to yes, and browse through the file to
make sure everything is configured correctly.  The theory is that you
don't want to let an unconfigured box onto the network...

Hope this helps,

-Jon
 "Hey - this old machine screams like a snail on acid!" - (a true
  comment by a fellow who recently installed NetBSD on an old server)