Subject: Re: Nubus 101
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/30/2000 11:57:02
On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Hauke Fath wrote:

> 1) The Duo Dock
>
> is in control. Pressing the "Eject" button will force a shutdown on the Duo
> before it gets ejected. Try to put the Duo to sleep while it is still
> docked and you'll be told that you cannot. Insert a sleeping Duo into the
> DuoDock and when you press the keyboard power key it will be ejected --
> there is no way to dock a sleeping Duo and have it wake up.
>
> 2) With the MiniDuo
>
> you _can_ do nasty things -- undock and dock a sleeping Duo -- but the
> MacOS does not handle the situation gracefully. I.e. when you use the
> MiniDock with an external SCSI disk, put the Duo to sleep, undock and wake
> it up again, the Duo will fumble in the dark for the missing disk and
> finally lock up. No unmounting of external disks before sleep.
>
> All in all, I think for NetBSD the point is moot; no need to put effort
> into reconfiguring after sleep, because noone expects it nayway.

	NetBSD supports Turbochannel videocards on Alpha systems that
	DEC never did, and PCI cards on macppc that apple does not, so
	if the _hardware_ can permit attach/detach then we should have a
	goal of supporting that. Maybe not initially, but it should
	still remain a goal.

	The MiniDuo is an obvious andidate for this - but even the Duo
	Dock should be possible - if NetBSD can trap the 'shutdown'
	command	from the Dock and use it to handle the detach...

		David/absolute
				       -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --