Subject: Phase changes and IIvx
From: Brett Kessler <kesslerb@algorithmics.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/28/2000 09:39:20
Well, I'm getting closer!  My little IIvx with 20MB of RAM, an internal 80MB
hard drive (and a few different external hard drives to try) is almost
working properly.

After trying many different kernels, etc., including -1.4.2 and -current, I
was ready to give up.  After I ripped out the 1.0GB Fujitsu M1606S-512 hard
drive on which I was doing the install, and replaced it with a 2.0GB Seagate
ST32430N, my problems mounting the root file system went away.  (I still got
bitten by the SCSIRead() and SCSIWrite() errors, but got past them by
keeping the partitions within the first 1GB.)

So now I'm booting, but like many others with the IIvx, I'm getting those
"unexpected phase change" errors.  I'm stumped as to what to do.  I've gone
through the archives of this list back to December 1999, and tried all of
the suggestions along the way for fixing the problem.  These included
re-checking the SCSI cables and termination, zapping the PRAM, and others.
(Except for the suggestion a while back of dumping MacBSD altogether.)

So, anybody have any fresh ideas on fixing and/or getting around this?
--
Brett Kessler, MCSE, MCP+I, MCP