Subject: Re: Nubus 101
To: Jude Giampaolo <jude@smellycat.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/27/2000 21:33:49
At 12:30 Uhr +0200 27.6.2000, Jude Giampaolo wrote:
>At 6:50 AM +0200 6/27/00, Hauke Fath wrote:
>>
>>Apple's documentation claims that you cannot put a Duo to sleep while it's
>>docked. On the other hand, you can dock a sleeping Duo, and the Dock
>>sResource has driver code attached that makes sure the dock's devices are
>>attached correctly under MacOS (yes, I've done some reading...).
>
>So its possible to insert the Duo while powered on, but not remove it then?

"In principle, yes."

At least that is what Apple's developer documentation says about the Duo
system.

In reality things look a bit different...

1) The Duo Dock

is in control. Pressing the "Eject" button will force a shutdown on the Duo
before it gets ejected. Try to put the Duo to sleep while it is still
docked and you'll be told that you cannot. Insert a sleeping Duo into the
DuoDock and when you press the keyboard power key it will be ejected --
there is no way to dock a sleeping Duo and have it wake up.

2) With the MiniDuo

you _can_ do nasty things -- undock and dock a sleeping Duo -- but the
MacOS does not handle the situation gracefully. I.e. when you use the
MiniDock with an external SCSI disk, put the Duo to sleep, undock and wake
it up again, the Duo will fumble in the dark for the missing disk and
finally lock up. No unmounting of external disks before sleep.

All in all, I think for NetBSD the point is moot; no need to put effort
into reconfiguring after sleep, because noone expects it nayway.

	hauke