Subject: Re: Nubus 101
To: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/26/2000 08:50:46
> >How come only the video adapter shows up during autoconfiguration?
> I think we just go with the first sResource for the card that looks like
> the main one.

This is true.  The way it's supposed to work is that the card is
supposed to unconfigure any unused/unusable sResources itself
(through the Slot Manager and the card's on-board init routine).
Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury and we're looking at the
sResources directly on the ROM.  Perhaps we could search for different
types of sResources and configure one of each type.

> >Why do we check for video card IDs but check vendor IDs for ethernet cards?
> Old practice? There's probably no reason. Just that's how it was done.

We check as little as necessary to distinguish between hardware so that
there's a greater chance of the hardware working...  We have to check
the hardware ID of the video card so that we know how to clear the
interrupt.  We don't really need to know that (usually) for the ethernet.

> >Why does the DuoDock's ethernet adapter not show up?
> I think it's one card = one device right now. We find the first good
> sResource and then pass that info onto the first appropriate driver. So if
> we find the video card first, that gets passed on and we're done.

Does the DuoDock show up in real nubus space, or is it in "slot 0"?
We have avoided configuring slot 0 because it's kind of
generic--including sResource blocks for all kinds of systems.

-allen