Subject: Re: A newbies questions
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/26/2000 06:24:43
Allen Briggs wrote:

>> > Can I do a remote install similar to Solaris/AIX/RedHat via FTP
>> > or NFS or ?
>> Save for a 10 Meg mac partition (for booting) the rest of my Centris 650's
>> drive is devoted to 'bsd. Here's what I did:
>> Put all the .tgz files for installation, and the installer on another
>> machine. Turn on file sharing, and mount the drive on your target machine.
>> run the installer from there. This saves you having to devote a large
>> portion of the drive to store the .tgz files, just for installation.
>
>There is also another alternative.  The experimental RAMDISK
>kernel-based installation--for that, you'll need enough space
>to store the booter and the kernel on the MacOS partition.
>
>This is probably not as well-documented as the installer method,
>but it may be more comfortable if you're comfortable with other
>Unix-like installs..
>
>Does anyone know what the current status of this installation
>method is?

It works great for some people and fails misserably for others.  I
haven't found the problem yet but I have an idea what it might be and I
need to put together another Installation kernel to test with, but
haven't had much luck building everything.

I do have a set of INSTALL docs that incorporate the changes I filed with
the PR.  If anyone needs them they can drop me a note and I'll send them.

-bob