Subject: Re: Centris 610 and 68LC040 Processor
To: Tony Mantler <nicoya@apia.dhs.org>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/25/2000 13:58:00
On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Tony Mantler wrote:

> No. Neither the Mac ROM nor the MacOS was ever designed to handle a 68060,
> you wouldn't be able to boot at all. You could probably do it if you
> designed an accelerator board (or hacked to death an existing one?) that
> either only activated after a driver ran that patched the MacOS to not go
> insane, or only activated once you started into the kernel, but that would
> be a whole lot more trouble than it would be worth. You'd be much better
> off getting a PPC upgrade board and reverse engineering it to work with
> some of the PPC *nix'en.

MkLinux at last check got about half-way through booting before crashing
on ppc-upgraded 68k machines.  If you're into kernel hacking, it'd be a
fun project.  Meanwhile, I'm working on a closely-related project,
Performa 52xx/53xx/62xx/63xx support, which should fill in lots of pieces
for 68k machines, too.

David

A brief Haiku:

Microsoft is bad.