Subject: Re: Linux M68k
To: None <adamp@priest.com>
From: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@hotmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/17/2000 01:50:29
>From: Adam Priest <adamp@priest.com>
>To: bwildasi@hotmail.com
>Subject: Linux M68k
>Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:55:32 -0600
>
>Hello, I am currently having trouble with using Linux M68k, and I noticed
>your Quadra 700 in a list of system configs - Is there a certain kernel out
>that can get passed the Sonic init, where it seems to hang? Thanks,

Here's some sites that support the old Motorola "68k" Macintoshes:
http://www.debian.org/ports/m68k/
http://www.linux-m68k.org/
http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/

A searchable archive at egroups may have the Sonic info you need:
http://www.egroups.com/messagesearch/linux-mac69k?query=Sonic

You'll have to page through it tho.

My experiences with linux on m68k hardware can be found at:
http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/linux-mac68k/README
http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/linux-mac68k/

If you want to check out another unix-like system, BSD is a good choice.
Both OpenBSD and NetBSD work well, although I've only tested NetBSD, which
by the way is very slick. Sort of like the Slackware distribution of Linux
philosophy. Here's some links, if you're interested:

Try looking un "Network Cards" at:
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/info/info-2.html#ss2.2

There's also a couple of archives to find out the status of your type of
Sonic card:
By date:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/
Searchable, or by date:
http://www.findmail.com/messagesearch/port-mac68k?query=Sonic

If you don't need to network your computer to a LAN but just need a modem,
then any of the recent, or "Current" kernels should work just fine. I think
NetBSD is at the 1.4.2 iteration.

The installation procedure is painless. Here's the INSTALL doc that will
take you by the hand:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.2/mac68k/INSTALL.html

...although I've become much more accustomed to CDROM installation since
these cost about $5 and come with complete source and binaries:

Cheapbytes <http://www.cheapbytes.com/> is my favorite supplier of
distributions. Takes about 3 days to devliver to your doorstep!
http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010507?FnBVajjk;;136

By the way the mailing list for old macs running *BSD is
port-mac58k@netbsd.org. You can get a daily digest at

    majordomo@routbort.neuro.duke.edu

In the body of the message put "subscribe port-mac68k-digest" or
"unsubscribe port-mac68k-digest", if you prefer.

Hope that helps.

Brian Wildasinn
bwildasi@csulb.edu
http://www.geocities.com/bwildasi.geo