Subject: Login prompt in X
From: Pat Plummer <ppat@micron.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/14/2000 18:59:47
All:

I have kde up and running famously -- except for sound :) -- and I have one
more question (for now anyway). What I'd like to do is use kde's login
screen rather than the xdm plain vanilla version. I looked at the FAQ on the
kde site and they discuss how to do this a on a linux system, but had no
comments on BSD. Here's what they said WRT linux:
________________
First, you need to change to the "xdm runlevel" (runlevel 5 on RedHat
systems) by editing your /etc/inittab file. In the file, you should have a
line saying:
id:3:initdefault:
Change it to:
id:5:initdefault:
Now at the end of the file, comment out the following line:
x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/xdm -nodaemon
and replace it with:
x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon
(the location of kdm may differ on your systems, though)

For changes to take effect immediately, type "init 5" at the shell prompt.
Please note that it is risky to initiate a graphical login without checking
beforehand whether it works. If it fails to work, you'd be in for a hard
time getting back....

There does not appear to be a file analogous to "inittab" in BSD. Would I
modify /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsessions somehow? Any comments/suggestions/
catcalls?

Pat

--
Pat Plummer, MD