Subject: Re: mac68k with netbsd - mp3, realplayer, browser?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Shigeki Uno <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/13/2000 17:23:21
Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com> wrote
in <200006122214.PAA40438@pdxcs326.pdx.intel.com>

: > I think I am likely expecting too much, since you can't run mp3 or any
: > versions of RealAudio later than 3 on these boxes under the MacOS -- but
: > hey, it's a real OS, like the Linux crowd says. Also, is anyone running
: > a browser (other than Lynx)? I would expect that on 68030 machines,
: > running X is uncomfortably slow.
:
: with enough memory, X runs just fine.  i think i've got 96MB on my IIci
: and it runs just fine ;-)  startup is a little slow.  it's quite tolerable
: on my Q700 with 40MB, too.  i usually run an old copy of mozilla when i
: need a web browser.  it's a bit slow, but usable.

Someone posted in this mailing list that It's possible to get netscape
to work using compat_sunos function. And you need to get sunos4 to enable
sunos emulation function.

You can check its article on www.netsd.org official
site. Unfortunately I can't rememer who and when it was posted, but
I'm sure it was posted within this year.

NetBSD/mac68k is lacking in Web browser such as netscape communicator
or Internet Explorer and sound function such as play (music)CD or Real
Player or mp3. :-(

# Where can I get sunos4 cdrom from (license?) ?

---
Shigeki Uno