Subject: mac68k with netbsd - mp3, realplayer, browser?
To: Port-mac68k NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Constantine Karbaliotis <constantine.k@home.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/12/2000 17:43:52
Hello; I am just getting my feet wet with NetBSD/mac68k; I have just
installed it on an SE/30, and am planning to use it as a print server. I
am currently running a couple of 68k Mac's with Debian Linux, so BSD is
an interesting experience for me. I was wondering -- unlike macLinux,
there is sound support for BSD, but how far does that go? Is it possible
to run mp3 or more recent versions of RealAudio on a 68k Mac running
NetBSD?

I think I am likely expecting too much, since you can't run mp3 or any
versions of RealAudio later than 3 on these boxes under the MacOS -- but
hey, it's a real OS, like the Linux crowd says. Also, is anyone running
a browser (other than Lynx)? I would expect that on 68030 machines,
running X is uncomfortably slow. I have a couple of IIsi's I would like
to turn into music appliances on my network (hooked up to stereos). I
would appreciate any feedback.