Subject: kde followup
From: Pat Plummer <ppat@micron.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/11/2000 10:56:29
Folks:

I have kde up and running fairly well (a little slow maybe, but definitely
usable) except for some permissions problems I hope to be able to iron out
-- I can start things up as root, but not as a regular user yet. I created a
log file for startx (startx >& x.log) to see how things load and the only
errors I see are:

This is not a fatal error.
Couldn't set video mode to desired depth.
I gather there is no video ROM driver present for this display.
Screen 0 at 0x4248e00, 832 by 624, 16 bpp, rowB 1664, fbbase 0x3830000.
maudio: Cannot open audio device.
PID could not get read.
PID could not get read.
PID could not get read.
PID could not get read.
PID could not get read.
PID could not get read.
PID could not get read.
PID could not get read.
PID could not get read.
PID could not get read.
kwmsound: Failed connecting the audio server.
Please check manually if you can start start kaudioserver.
QSocketNotifier : Invalid socket specified
QsocketNotifier : Internal error
Could not read '/tmp//kfm-cache-0/index.txt'

Also, I attempt to open the CD player, I get an error suggesting I need
access permissions to /dev/rcd0d. This device does not exist in /dev. The
same goes for trying to open the mixer -- the error suggests that I do not
have permissions to /dev/mixer. This also does not exist. Does this mean I
need to force an fstab as I did when I was first setting up BSD?

If anyone who runs kde has an .initrc file I can look at for ideas, I'd like
to see it. I tried putting this line in my .xinitrc as Tom suggested:

konsole -e 'startkde' -caption 'Welcome to KDE'

but it doesn't seem to stop the console msgs from screwing up the screen.

Bob, I have a trackpad that has three buttons -- can you explain in a lttle
bit better detail how to pass the correct input to BSD to make them usable?

My thanks to all of you that have contributed to my effort so far :) --you
guys are all great! It is greatly appreciated. I will have the blank CDs off
in the mail to you tomorrow morning, Bob.

Pat

--
Pat Plummer, MD
ppat@micron.net